The Youth Filmmakers Showcase (YFS) brings together the best film and video made by youth from across British Columbia. Are you a filmmaker or aspiring filmmaker? This is your chance to show us what you can do with a camera, your imagination and maybe a little help from your friends. Submissions are now open!
The deadline for individual submissions was January 25, 2015. Extensions may be granted for schools and organizations submitting on behalf of students finishing work this term. Requests for extension can be sent to email@example.com
Download the 2015 Entry Form
Simply upload your film to your YouTube or Vimeo account, and send the link along with your entry form to firstname.lastname@example.org. If selected as a finalist, your film will be showcased on the big screen during the festival, and will be eligible to win great prizes!
- Films may be submitted either by emailing an online link (YouTube or Vimeo) or by mailing a DVD (all entries must include a completed Entry Form).
- YFS is open to filmmakers who are, as of September 1, 2014, 19 years of age and under, OR attended either Elementary or High School as a student at the time of the project’s completion.
- Entrants must be residents of British Columbia.
- Individual and group entries will be considered (please be sure to clarify the specific role of each filmmaker).
- Adult participation must be limited to a mentor, supervisory or actor role.
- Submission must not have been selected previously as part of the Youth Filmmakers Showcase or Reel 2 Real.
- Running time must not exceed 7 minutes.
- R2R encourages the use of original music. If the submitted work is selected as a finalist, the filmmaker(s) will need to provide written proof of copyright clearance for all music and or featured art.
- Any film or video format may be used in production, however, accepted entries must be submitted as a high resolution .mov file. The file must be a final screening version of the submission with at least 5 seconds of black before the opening and after the final credits.
- If selected, filmmakers will also need to provide a selection of print quality images or frame grabs for publishing.
All submissions meeting the above criteria will be considered. A curator selects the finalists to be screened for jury consideration and eligible prizes.
JURY, SCREENING & PRIZES
- A jury consisting of film industry professionals will assess the finalists and select prizewinners based on proficiency in form, expression, experimentation and content.
- Each finalist’s short film will be screened at the Reel 2 Real International Film Festival for Youth. Films not selected by the curator will not be screened. Finalists will be invited to attend the screening.
- Prizes will be awarded in the following categories: Lighting & Camera, Music & Sound, Acting, Original Screenplay, Direction, Best Picture, Jury Recognition and Audience Choice (awards subject to change).